Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The things we shouldn't repeat out loud.

My little town may not be know for much (well, maybe it is but I couldn't tell you off the top off my head what that would be), but there is one little "gem" as I have heard it referred to--Blackwater Coffee Co & Cafe.

With a cozy fireplace and couches inside and metal tables outside (down jackets and moon boots optional) they have the seasons covered.  The coffee is strong, hot (yes they sometimes warn you about that) and black (I'll get back to that in a minute).  

But the best part is their sandwich menu.  I'd like to say everything is great, but the Blue Beef is so good that I am unable to order anything else when I go there--I think it may be "world famous".  Well that may be pushing it, but I have heard of people from St. Paul (I know!) going there.

The joint happens to be owned by a friend of the Big Guy...actually became a friend of the Big Guy while the coffee shop was being built.  The Big Guy used to drive around late at night (let's just say Oliver) and would stop by Blackwater before it was even open and offer his advise (aka: tell them what to do and how to do it) and feeling good about his "community service" would come back home for a good (albeit short) nights sleep. Thanks "Q"!

Well...after frequenting the drive thru for my decaf latte' (I just like the taste...really) and overtaking the place after soccer, t-ball and preschool I started thinking about the name and how they came up with it. Unfortunately the Big Guy was in the car with me when the lightbulb went off...coffee IS black water.  Yes I know you got it a long time ago, but I guess I was too busy to stop and think...I mean smell...the coffee. 

2 comments:

hot4teechr said...

Isn't saying blackwater coffee kind of like saying blackwater blackwater or coffee coffee? Or did they need to be redundant so that people (like you, maybe?) would know they sell coffee coffee? Or should I say blackwater blackwater?

Brooke a.k.a. 34B cup said...

I have driven by it a million times and have never stopped. Maybe we should lunch there... Can we order as red vodka/bloody mary there too?